Waking up with pain and stiffness? Want to elevate your mattress and upgrade the quality of value of sleep? Or perhaps you have just shifted to a new location and can do something with a switch? Here we came up with consumer reports reviews the best mattresses for back pain.
These are some of the major issues when you have to consider buying a new mattress.
When your back hurts everything hurts. Walking sitting, lifting, and sleeping. Choosing the right mattress can go a long way to making you happy again. It is not magic but it can sure feel that way.
So, you will be thinking about when you need to buy a new mattress? There are some reasons to discover if it’s a good and urgent time to get a new mattress. The first step you have to do is to check for the signs of worsening that might include the mattress’s usefulness, such as stains, rips, and sagging. If you have been waking up with pain, aches, or stiffness then your old mattress is not giving you the support and comfort.
Tips for Choosing a Best Mattress For Back and Hip Pain
The two biggest factors you should look for in a mattress are comfort and support. Support is the most important factor in choosing a bed mattress for back pain. So you should go over that first. When sleeping, the position in support of your spine is important for avoiding neck, back, and sciatica pain.
When choosing the mattress for lower or upper back pain the area you are going to want to focus on is where your hips lay on the bed. The hips are going to be the heaviest part of the body and it is the spot you are going to get the most amount of sag in the mattress. So it’s a spot where support is crucial to keep the alignment in your back while you sleep.
Doesn’t matter if you are a back, stomach, or side sleeper, minimizing the sag in this area should help keep the irritation off the back while you sleep and make it where you are not noticing as much pain.
When choosing the mattress for back pain pay attention to this:
Make sure while you lay are fully supporting your hips and your back looks straight. If it is sagging the odds are it won’t offer you the support you need over time and may lead to future back issues.
Comfort is greatly personal. That’s why it’s important to look for all the comfort features. To ensure comfort search for different types and brands of mattresses and look if meet your needs.
Consider sleeping on a bigger bed. Think about improving your mattress size to a king or queen size.
- Value and cost
Don’t be so concentrated on the price. Just because a mattress is more affordable doesn’t make it bad or just because the mattress is really expensive doesn’t make it the best one ever.
Relaxing and good-quality mattresses can be expensive. Think how much time you will be costing on it, and how a restful sleep will strike your performance in your awakening period.
Clinical sleep expert Terry Cralle says that “ a comfortable is not the place to focus on the dollar, your investment will pay off in many ways”.
- Brand name
Everyone wants to spend money on a well-known brand to ensure the quality of material and construction.
Be alert that many brands could be similar factories and with similar construction and materials. So, some brands might not have considerable differences particularly.
- Mattress construction
In research, it is found out that more than seventy percent of Australians sleep on improper mattresses. You have to look for another mattress if you are one of them. You should look for mattress types such as memory or latex foam, hybrids, foam, waterbeds, or air beds.
In 2010 a small study revealed that people diagnose with stiffness and low back pain had some less pain and better sleep on a latex or foam mattress.
If you are allergic to materials like latex or any. Some materials can be toxic for you. Always look for materials that are certified foam.
Always look if the mattress you are going to buy is backed by some warranty. Good companies allow you to try out the mattress for over a month and after a month if you don’t like the mattress you can ask for a return or exchange and this will cost a little fee.
Always read what the directions are for giving back the mattress. Read what is your responsibility and what you don’t have to do and what the store or mattress company is lookout for.
If you purchased a shrink-packed mattress, then re-boxing and rolling it back is your responsibility.
Can a Mattress Cause Cack Pain?
The short answer is yes, it can cause back pain. Mattresses play an important role in how our body is positioned. Everybody knows that posture is very important but they only consider their posture in the practicality of sitting and standing. This may reason them to having the significance that is right for them based on their sleeping position, weight, and body shape. If the joints and spine are not well cushioned and well-aligned you wouldn’t be capable of relaxing.
Which Type of Mattress is Good for Bad Back Pain?
All mattresses available today could be divided into 5 types based on their materials and constructions. You will find stable features within each type, though there can be prominent variations from one model or brand to the next.
Let’s talk about what type of mattress fits your lifestyle.
Traditionally a hybrid bed means it has half innerspring and half memory foam so this is where you are going to get the best of both. You are gonna get all of the support from a traditional innerspring coil and a great degree of pressure point relief from those high and memory foams.
Sometimes even latex and a good thick layer on top of the innerspring coil.
- The Bonnel spring mattress
This type of mattress gives you more support because the springs are all intertwined together. Bonnel mattress is for ones who like something firmer or people with back issues.
- Pocket spring mattress
The springs on the mattress are separated so that only one section moves when you put weight on it. So, if you sit on one side the other side remains stable. Pocket spring mattresses are cost-effective, long-lasting, and sturdy.
Pocket spring mattresses deliver you a good level of comfort that will help you relax.
- Memory foam
These types of foam are amazing. They gently conform to the shape of your body and can also adjust to the body temperature and weight. These foams relieve neck pain and back pain. Memory foam gives the support of a firm one and the comfort of a soft mattress.
Reasons Why You Need a New Mattress
Three indicators show that you need a new mattress.
- Age of mattress
So first one is the age of your mattress. So typically people get a new mattress between seven years and 12 years. So if you are in that range you probably should be looking for a new bed. Most mattresses are only really constructed and tested for ten years.
- Sagging or body impressions
So most people should be rotating their beds between two and four times per year. If your mattress is sagging or has a body impression when no weight is on it of about half an inch or maybe an inch and a quarter. the n you really should be thinking about getting a new mattress because you are sleeping on a compromised mattress.
- Aches and pain
If you are experiencing low back pain, upper back pain, pain resulting from your sciatica maybe with your hips. If that’s the same thing you are also experiencing you might want to think about getting an entirely new mattress.
It might be the mattress that’s making things worse.
Top 5 Picks Mattresses For Bad Backs
We did do a few lists related to low back pain, bad back, sciatica, arthritis, hip pain, and the list goes on. We spend a lot of time on making this list, we spend a lot of time researching, a lot of time testing beds and we consulted with a chiropractor to put the best of the best together. You can find one of the best mattresses for yourself below.
 Ergoflex Double Foam Mattress
In 2010, Ergoflex became the first company in Australia to offer a mattress in a box. Since then many other companies have entered the market but ergo flex mattresses remain as one of the most durable, soft, and comfortable mattresses.
created to deliver a healthy spine lineup and wonderful back support, the Ergoflex mattress has turned out to be a great option for chiropractors and customers alike. Yes, predictability this mattress has been also winning the top mattress for back pain and hip pain for ten years.
Memory foam in addition to pressure build-up and a supportive base makes this foam top pick for the neck or shoulder. This mattress offers a very nice mix of pressure-relieving comfort and body support.
Partner disturbance is also nonexistent so you can say goodbye to that broken sleep from a restless partner.
Product dimension 187 x 137 x 23 cm
Material Memory foam
Item weight 36 kg
The mattress itself presents well with a modern and clean vibe. The outer Tencel cover is washable and removable helping you to keep your mattress hygienic.
The body of the mattress contains a unique layer of memory foam which is significantly higher density than anything else.
The mattress is designed to go on adjustable bases adding to its versatility. The mattress is good for those apt to allergies like asthma. The mattress is antimicrobial with sustainable and natural materials.
Performance and Quality
- The mattress has a five-layer sleep method, containing superior materials in harmony to make the most comfortable, supportive, and pressure soothing mattresses ever.
- First, the natural covers give you a breathable, natural, and luxurious surface.
- Next, the five cm layers cool sleep airflow system benefits with temperature and airflow regulation.
- In the end, you will see the nine cm good resilience impact resistant foam base layer make sure about pure support and weight distribution.
- Due to its fitness and comfortability the mattress suits all sleepers: combination sleepers, side sleepers, front slumbers, and back sleepers.
- Its combination of high density and gel memory delivers comfort and cooking.
- Every three to six months, it is recommended to rotate your mattress and flex your muscles.
This memory foam is best for side and back sleepers. Sleeping on the back needs spine line up and lower back support, memory foam is ideal for right parts to drop and for stabilizing joints.
Side sleepers also want one that gives support and cushion, since its position puts pressure on the torso, shoulders, and hips.
The mattress is suitable if a person weighs 114 kg and more or both person weights of 190 kg.
Not suitable for
If you are a stomach sleeper then this mattress isn’t good and comfortable for you. You will experience some heat holding if you are a warm sleeper.
- Tested and tried warranty.
- Neck and back pain comfort.
- Supportive and durable.
- Small test period. Thirty days trails are not many, a hundred to two nights would be better.
- Costly than some other mattresses available.
About the brand Ergoflex
Established in 2006, ergo flex is a UK’s and Australia’s superior mattress in box brand. the company sells memory foam mattresses, memory foam pillows, bed bases, waterproof mattress protectors, and sheets.
Since 2010, the company has been selling its mattresses in Australia.
Zinus Cloud King Mattress Memory Foam
Zinus is known for having very high-quality products at affordable prices. Zinus cloud queen is a cooling memory mattress. It is cool that you have five 8, 10, 12, and 14-inch versions of this to get the exact firmness that you want.
This memory foam mattress uses charcoal so that moisture doesn’t gather up. The company says their mattresses can provide comfort from pressure but many of their buyers claim that this mattress is uncomfortable and firm. The mattress is available in king, queen, double and single sizes. The mattress is suitable with most bed basses including adjustable, box spring, bunkie board, slatted, and platform.
Product dimension 203 x 152 x 30 cm
Material memory foam
Item weight 30 kg
The first base layer is three and a half inches. The other base layer is also three and a half inches. Between these layers, there are air channels that help you sleep cooler at night. After that, there is a transition layer that is soft but pretty springy. On top, we have three inches of gel memory foam.
The cover is made from stretchy, soft, and thin fabric material. The foam is free from ozone-exhausting material and is also CertiPUR-US certified. The mattress is also free from formaldehyde, lead, and mercury.
The firmness of this mattress is rated 7 out of 10, a little bit softer than average. The reason w feel that is you have three inches of gel memory foam, two inches of comfort which is pretty soft.
Performance and Quality
- The firmness of this mattress is rated 7 out of 10, a little bit softer than average. The reason w feel that is you have three inches of gel memory foam, two inches of comfort which is pretty soft.
- If you put your hand in the foam and take it away, it takes some seconds to return to its actual position.
- Three inches of memory foam on top and two inches underneath, you are relaxation going to sink in there. You will feel a little bit of firmness initially. The pressure will just melt away with the memory foam. True memory foam feel with this mattress!
- The mattress is odor resistant and hypoallergenic, this means you will spend less time sneezing and more time sleeping.
- The mattress is backed with amazing low motion technology, you wouldn’t get any trouble about your partner getting out of your bed. You can get up at your preferable time.
Let’s talk about how expert feels while trying different positions on this mattress.
- If you are a back sleeper you can feel the memory foam conformed to the curves of your body.
- If you are a heavier sleeper, you would probably get something a little bit firmer.
- If you are a side sleeper, definitely a good match for you. In that position and the memory foam kicks in and relieves any pressure whatsoever.
- We would say that this 12-inch cloud queen mattress is very ideal for side sleeping.
Not Suitable for
- Switching to the stomach we would say it’s a little bit too soft. There is probably a little bit too much memory foam.
- As the mattress is sloppy on the corners so if you moved a lot then you are at risk of falling.
- Saves hundreds of dollars in your pocket as compared to other mattresses.
- 10 years warranty.
- Mattress comes in a portable and neat box for easy assembly and carry.
- Hundred night is perfect for testing.
- Works with different sizes of bed frames.
- All of the gel memory mattresses are made in the USA.
- Heat retention and durability issues with some customers.
- Sloopy edge chances of falling if you move a lot.
- You will feel a mild scent in starting days of use but it will go in about a week.
About the Brand Zinus
Founded by Youn Jae Lee in 1979, he started his business in a large building, outdoor tents in South Korea. Zinus has been providing mattresses all over the world in more than 15 countries. Their copper, charcoal, olive oil, green tea mattresses help you sleep in comfort and keep your mattress fresh and cool.
Zinus Cloud King Mattress Foam Customer Reviews
 Macoda Premium Hybrid Mattress [100 Night Risk-Free Trial]
This macoda mattress object delivers the ideal balance between support and comfort. The macoda mattress presents well with a rather fashionable appearance. This mattress is best known to relieve and assist back, body, and neck pain. As you start sleeping on the mattress and your body adjusts to it you will slowly notice your pain and aches vanishing.
The top layer of the mattress starts with a Macoda signature cover of bamboo fabric and quilting foam. This cover feels smooth and luxurious and is possibly one of the best mattress for back and arthritis you can get in Australia.
Underneath there are comfort layers of premium latex gel-infused memory foam. High-density support foam. The mattress feels firmer and the main support structure of the Macoda mattress is a five-zone pocket spring system. This mattress feels sturdy and provides very good back support. It has a good level of responsiveness, so moving into different positions during sleep is no trouble.
The mattress is certified non-toxic, so you can be sure it is safe to bring into your home. The mattress also comes with a solid hundred-night trial period, which you can try some relaxation onto straps help before you buy.
This mattress is a great buy for those who prefer a softer feel. The mattress is available in single, king single, double, queen, and king size.
Package dimension 151 x 32 x 32 cm,
Material Latex foam, Memory foam, Bamboo, Gel foam
Item weight 51 kg
- The top layer is incredibly comfortable and absorbs body weight smoothly and evenly. One of the distinguishing features of this mattress is customization. This allows you to adjust the feel of the mattress rearranging its foam layers.
- The default configuration that the mattress arrives in latex on top is the version that we like the most with this in mind. The three comfort layer and support layers are very well made and this is one of the main reasons behind its super comfort.
- The topmost layer provides a smooth and gentle bounce and naturally cools the mattress.
- Layer no 2 is the memory foam or gel-infused that delivers pressure when the sleeper applies pressure on the mattress.
- Layer no 3 is made of polyurethane foam which provides fitness to your back.
- The last layer is an important part of the mattress, every layer is separated from each other with coil support. This layer offers extra support and does not cause or worsen problems for the pressure points.
Performance and Quality
- Mattress design is a thrilling option that features zoned pocket springs, cooling bamboo fabric, and moisture-wicking for a good backbone lineup.
- Because of the layers of gel-infused and latex memory foam, this mattress is cool for most.
- The sides of this mattress also have comfortable handles which feel durable and strong.
- The mattress is nontoxic and hypoallergenic so you can be sure you will spend more time sleeping and less time sneezing.
- The mattress is free of VOC emissions, heavy metals containing lead and mercury, flame retardants, and Ozone depleters.
Most Suitable for
The mattress is most suitable for those suffering issues with a bad back, head issues, hip problems,s, and arthritis. This mattress is also for you if you prefer a softer and cooler sleep.
This mattress is perfect for those whose sleep is getting disturbed when their partners awake, this mattress uses low motion technology. So without any change in motion, your partner can get out of bed and you can wake up at your alarm time.
Not Suitable For
This mattress is not suitable for people who are stomach sleepers and those who are hot sleepers.
- The mattress comes with a ten-year long period warranty and 100 night trial days.
- Affordable hybrid mattress.
- Ability to adjust.
- The cover is made of bamboo fabric.
- Pocket spring system and high-density foam provide the mattress a strong edge and foundation support.
- Per person’s weight limit is one hundred and fifty kg and the total weight limit is three hundred kg.
- Washable bamboo cover.
- OEKO-Tex certified.
- In hundred night trials, the mattress should not be in poor condition, damaged, and stained if you planned to return.
- Heavy mattress, moving is not easy with this much weight.
About the Brand Macoda
Macoda recently came into Australia in 2018, all of the macoda products are manufactured in china. Their bed mattresses are fastly becoming famous for their comfort and superior quality. Ther mattresses are famous because of their hybrid design and bounce and support of pocket springs.
 D & G Duck and Goose Co Plush Durable Premium Mattress
This mattress topper is light and breathable and permits compelling airflow to alleviate overheating. So, you can have a relaxed and refreshing experience. Stay comfortably warm and fully cool with ideal temperature control to stop being sweaty and hot. The topper is developed with increased pocket holes to add extra overall support. This memory foam is an ideal choice for people suffering from any type of allergy as the materials are hypoallergenic and antibacterial.
This mattress topper does the great task of regulating and insulating body heat comes in different sizes including Queen, Short Queen, California King, Full, Full XL, Twin, and Twin XL.
Brand D & G the Duck and Goose CO.
Package dimension Latex foam, Memory foam
Item weight 6.4 kg
The mattress is generously filled with premium quality microfiber softest taqueria. This mattress is soft and luxurious for the ultimate in superior rest and relaxation. The topper features a neat and stylish baffled box design with a fourteen-inch squirt around all four sides that adds an elegant aesthetic.
The skirt fits perfectly to a mattress depth of up to twenty inches. So you can relax on top of a cloud of the fluffy topper.
Its light breathable fabric is antibacterial and hypoallergenic and allows for a good flow of air while acting as a successful guard against allergens and dust mites. The topper also delivers ideal support while remaining comfortable and soft.
Performance and Quality
- The mattress topper is stuffed with 2 inches of bottom microfiber for both extra cushion and softness. The material easily adjusts to your body and eases pressure pain points.
- With fewer hard tough spots as opposed to your front, sides, or back as you sleep, you can awake better refreshed.
- The baffle box structure keeps the filling equally distributed and in place. The cotton cover is smooth to rest on for a comfy sleep all time around.
Most Suitable For
This mattress topper is most suitable for those who are allergic to materials. Also if you are a hot sleeper then this mattress topper is for you.
Not Suitable For
This mattress topper is not for you if you are not a hot sleeper as the materials are made to retain heat.
- An affordable option for hot sleepers.
- A good option who are allergic to animal down.
- Comes in many sizes option. You can easily choose one that fits your base.
- Good for controlling body temperature.
- Weightless weighs only 6.4. Easy to move around.
- Just a limited two years warranty. Good quality mattresses should have a warranty period of more than 10 years.
- No trial option available.
- Some customers complain that the mattress is not thin as a good quality mattress. Xt converter
About the Brand Duck & Goose
Located in New York, D & G the Duck and Goose are committed to giving ideal bedding products including hotel quality bedding, premium mattress topper, extra soft and creative bed sheets, and hotel premium bedding.
D & G Co Plush Durable Premium Mattress Customer Reviews
 Visco Soft Memory Foam Mattress Topper
This mattress is a great choice for back sleepers. This high-density memory foam provides extra support. This mattress also does a good job of relieving the pain from pressure joints. This mattress is the best choice if you want to sleep hot at night. Moreover, this mattress is heavier than some other mattresses you will find.
The mattress topper is also durable you can tell it by checking its heavyweight, we believe that the mattress will last for 6 to 8 years.
This memory foam mattress topper is also really great for isolation motion and what that means is if you are sharing a bed with your partner and they shift their sleeping position at night. Then the edges of the mattress topper will you from feeling that movement because it is made out of really high-density memory foam.
Package dimension 190.5 x 137.16 x 10.16
Material Memory foam
Item weight 9.98 kg
Starting with the cover. The cover is nice. You can wash it at your home in your relaxation washer and dryer. In terms of the design of that cover, it is a bamboo rayon mix. The cover is knitted, very breathable, and very cool to the touch.
On the bottom, you will see an anti-slip mesh. On the corner, some straps help some straps show their relaxation secure to the topper to your mattress. The comfort layer is made with three inches of high-quality density memory foam and it is infused with gel which helps aid in cooling.
A nice breathable cover and temperature control surface on foam and the top is nicely ventilated. So, this topper promotes airflow.
Performance and Quality
- This mattress has a nice bit of responsiveness. It is not super slow-moving but when you lay down in it you will feel that memory foam is sinking in around you. It has some great body contouring.
- When lying on your back you will feel a really good amount of comfort, body contouring here. Moving onto the side you will also feel some awesome pressure relief on your shoulders and hip.
- The body stays in alignment that is pretty soft, you will feel your hips sinking in a bit, which would cause some lower back pain.
Most Suitable For
This mattress is most suitable for those suffering from back and hip pain and also for those who don’t want their sleep to get disturbed because of their partner’s movement.
If you are looking for a memory foam topper and you are worried about trapping heat then this memory is for you. This mattress has many more cooling features which throw heat away from the mattress.
Not Suitable for
If you are a stomach sleeper then this mattress is not for you as stomach sleepers need a mattress that is firm, not soft. This mattress is there not if you don’t like a memory feel.
- Affordable price.
- It is super easy to clean. Just open the zip and throw the mattress in the washing machine. It will be fresh and nice.
- Adjustable straps.
- A three-year warranty is enough to make sure that you are not wasting your money.
- Sixty night trials days.
- Multiple compositions, thickness, and firmness points.
- It weighs heavy. Not easy to move around.
- Need forty-eight hours to expands before first use.
About the Brand ViscoSoft
Founded in 2007, located in Charlotte, NC, the brand was l launched to deliver innovative technology and quality sleep. With worldwide reach, the company includes affordable prices and sustainable construction for a price point and soft and comfortable sleep.
Right now ViscoSoft is offering a variety of mattress toppers, mattresses, pillows, bands needing pink to help you find perfect sleep and health.
Visco Soft Memory Foam Mattress Customer Reviews
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of mattresses is best for back pain?
D & G Co Plush Durable Premium Mattress is best for lower back and hip pain, Zinus is best for side sleepers and duck and goose are best for people with allergy issues.
What type of bed is good for lower back pain?
Visco and Ergoflex are good for people with lower back pain. The material has a firmer feel, can relieve back pain, and uses high-quality materials.
How should I sleep with my back pain?
Try sleeping with a pillow underneath or between your legs for added support. If you are a back sleeper try to roll up a small towel and put the pillow under your knees.
Is it better to sleep on a hard or soft mattress?
A softer mattress provides you the comfort and cushion you need for better sleep and a firmer mattress gives your bones more support and resistance.